CLASSIFICATION OF VISITORS, TOURISTS & EXCURSIONISTS :
Classification is by Country of Nationality (started in 2012 while years before classified by Country of Residence).
A visitor is a traveller taking a trip to a main destination outside his/her usual environment, for less than a year, for any main purpose (business, leisure or other personal purpose) other than to be employed by a resident entity in the country or place visited.
TOURIST (OR OVERNIGHT VISITOR)
A visitor (inbound) is classified as a tourist (or overnight visitor), if his/her trip includes an overnight stay.
EXCURSIONIST (OR SAME-DAY VISITOR)
A visitor (inbound) is classified as a same-day visitor (or excursionist) if his/her trip does not include an overnight stay.
TOURIST + EXCURSIONIST = VISITOR AVERAGE PER CAPITA EXPENDITURE :
Refer to expenditure per person per trip. This is computed by dividing the total expenditure (tourist recepits) by total number of tourist (tourist arrivals).
AVERAGE PER DIEM EXPENDITURE :
Refer to expenditure per person per day. This is computed by dividing the average per capita expenditure by the average length of stay.
AVERAGE LENGTH OF STAY :
Refer to average duration of stay per trip. Computed by dividing the actual duration of stay of all tourists by total number of arrivals.
TOURIST ARRIVALS :
Source : Immigration Department of Malaysia
Face to face interviews were conducted with 52,000 international tourists as they were departing from:
• Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Sepang
• Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2, Sepang
• Bayan Lepas International Airport, Penang
• Langkawi International Airport
• Kuching International Airport, Sarawak
• Kota Kinabalu International Airport, Sabah
• Bangunan Sultan Iskandar, Johor
• Bukit Kayu Hitam Immigration Complex, Kedah
• Pagoh Rest Area, North South Highway, Johor
• Sg. Tujuh Immigration Complex, Miri, Sarawak
• Port of Malacca
• Port of Stulang Laut, Johor
• Labuan Jetty, Labuan
Disproportionate stratified sampling was employed: i.e selected respondents are based on country of nationality and mode of transport. Smaller markets were sampled disproportionately higher for more reliable and accurate across tabulations. In view of the disproportioniate stratified sample, the survey data was weighted
• Malaysia Airport Berhad
• Immigration Department of Malaysia
• Custom Department of Malaysia
• Projek Lebuhraya Utara Selatan Berhad (PLUS)
• LDA Labuan (Holdings Sdn Bhd)
• Berjaya Waterfront Sdn Bhd
• Faiz Services And Supply